Saturday, December 19, 2009

Funky Retro Tree Skirt














As promised, a Christmas craft post. This tree skirt is still in progress (obviously), but I'm making it for Jason. He already knows about it, so there is no danger in spoiling any surprises here. I had to tell him for three reasons: 1) I live with him and he will obviously see me working on it, 2) I probably won't be finished by Christmas, and 3) I can't keep a secret to save my life.

It was kind of a last minute craft decision. I was at Michaels a week or two ago and saw the holiday coloured yarns and thought "Oooooh, pretty!". Then, a little further into the store I saw the Crochet Today! Nov/Dec magazine with the tree skirt on the cover, and the rest is history. Jason had commented when our tree was decorated that it looked naked underneath. I think he might have made the same comment last year.

If you're wondering why I didn't just go out and buy a tree skirt, let me tell you. For one thing, I am very picky about certain things -- and the Christmas tree is one of them. All of our tree ornaments are in the classic Christmas colours (dark red, white, dark green, jalapeƱo green and silver -- yes, those are the true colours of Christmas!), and most of the ornaments have a nostalgic feel to them. We also don't have Christmas stockings. This is not due to a dislike of the stocking tradition, it's just because after years of searching I've never found the ones that are "just right". Maybe if the holiday yarn is on sale after Christmas I'll pick some up to make us matching stockings. Also, straight buying a tree skirt is nowhere near as fun as spending all my free moments working on one -- and besides, I'm going to need something to keep me busy over the Christmas break.

The skirt is coming along much more quickly than I'd thought it would. The finished project has 8 coloured bands, and I'm almost finished the third. To follow my progress check out my ravelry.com profile.

Oh yes, and the bathroom is coming along quite quickly! I'm hoping to be able to shower in my new tub/shower on Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment