Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tuna Fish


According to Canada's Food Guide we should all be eating at least 2 servings of fish per week. I don't mind fish, but I definitely don't eat 2 servings a week (nor do I really plan to). For the purposes of this project though, I'm all in. Saturday Jclarkey and I dined on some delicious salmon fillets, and yesterday I tried my hand at a tuna wrap. You know, I never used to mind tuna, but a few years ago when jclarkey and I were young and broke, it became a main protein source and started appearing in everything we ate. Tuna casserole, tuna burritos, tuna in KD -- you name it. I haven't been able to look at canned fish quite the same way since. For those of you worried about mercury in tuna, check here.

BUT I came across a recipe for a Fruit, Veggie & Tuna Salad Wrap that sounded too good to pass up. The recipe includes things like mozzarella, apples, blueberries, spinach and carrots -- yum! Unfortunately it also includes tuna. My official opinion is that it would have been better without the tuna. I might try it again another time with chicken. For now though, I have 2 more servings of this stuff in the freezer that I'm going to have to choke down at some point.

Another mistake I made was with the mayo. I am in love with Hellmann's Olive Oil Mayonnaise, so when I stole a little taste from the jar I was furious that it didn't taste right. I was actually ready to call the company and give them a piece of my mind for DARING to change the recipe. That's when I noticed the blue band at the top of the jar. Turns out they now offer Olive Oil Mayo in a light option. Anyone who says "light" tastes the same as full fat has a screw loose. I won't be making the same mistake again.

Basically what I'm saying is yesterday's lunch was a flop.


Luckily, Dinner was fabulous!! My friend Charlotte came over and brought Michael Smith's Garlic Steamed Broccoli. What a simple, delicious recipe!

I made Sweet Potato Sticks (awesome) and pecan crusted chicken fingers. I over-cooked the chicken fingers a bit, but it was an excellent dinner anyways. We washed it down with some red wine and dark chocolate :)

Tonight I'm going to my parent's place for dinner as it's my Mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!! I will be bringing Barley Casserole, but I don't know what's for dinner other than that. It will be a test in heart-healthy eating when dining away from home. I'll let you know how that works out.

Menu
Thursday, February 4

Breakfast: Whole grain toast, peanut butter & peach jam, fruit juice & tea
Lunch: Leftover brown/wild rice, black bean & avocado salad, mixed berries, yogurt & water
Dinner: Barley Casserole & ??

No comments:

Post a Comment