Friday, February 5, 2010

You and I and everyone knows why oats and beans and barley grows!

As I mentioned, last night was my Mom's birthday dinner. I wasn't too sure what would happen to my heart health diet at home, but my parents served up a surprisingly heart healthy dinner! We had roast beef, spinach & snow pea salad, avocado (I refrained, as I had a whole one for lunch!), potatoes, phyllo wrapped shrimp and my barley casserole. I also avoided the gravy, but did indulge in a slice of strawberry cheesecake ice cream cake. Mmmm!
I told my Mom I would post the recipe for the barley casserole here, but I realizes I made so many changes to the original recipe I couldn't just post the link.
I started out toasting 1/2 c of barley in olive oil on the stove. I only do this for a few minutes, letting the barley coat in oil and heat up a bit -- I don't really brown it too much.
To that I add 1 1/2 c chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Then I add 1/2 c of green onions and 2 c sliced white mushrooms, stir it up and dump it in an 8"x8" baking dish. This time I used a pie plate because I knew it had a lid for travelling.
I then put it in the oven covered with foil for 30 - 40 mins at 350 degrees. You can see from the picture how it looks before it goes in and again when it comes out. This is a hearty and delicious side dish and made my house smell heavenly when I was baking it. This was one of my Saturday dishes that I threw in the freezer. I put it in the fridge Wednesday night and warmed it up (3 mins) just before dinner last night. This recipe is a real winner, and went over very well with my family!
Today's menu might be a bit of a mess. I had hoped to have leftover casserole for lunch, but no such luck! I'm also very busy planning a hockey tournament for TOMORROW, and might have to resort to some convenience foods.
Menu
Friday, February 5, 2010
Breakfast: Cheerios, milk & tea
Lunch: Cottage cheese, apple & ?
Dinner: Black bean & corn quesedillas, fruit juice, cheater cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment