Monday, February 1, 2010

Heart Health Month Begins!























Buy this cute velvet heart here.

I know many of you have been waiting patiently, and it's finally here! Heart Health Month! As you may know, I have committed myself to eating heart healthy for the entire month of February. I'm hoping to learn:
  • What foods are good for your heart and why
  • What foods are not and why
  • The impact of eating heart healthy on my general health
  • How to incorporate heart healthy eating into my daily life, beyond the project
I'm starting by making a weekly menu for myself that includes a variety of heart healthy foods. I will also have a few dinner guests every week to share the experience with me.

So, what foods are heart healthy? After a bit of online research, I came up with the following list:
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Raspberries
  • Wild Salmon
  • Ocean Fish
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Spinach
  • Cranberries
  • Whole Grains
  • Almonds
  • Apples
  • Carrots
  • Milk
  • Kidney Beans
  • Oats
  • Broccoli
  • Walnuts
  • Greek Yogurt
  • Olive Oil
  • Dark Chocolate (yes!)
  • Avocado
  • Beets
  • Garlic
  • Soy Protein
  • Red Wine (yes!)
  • Eggs
  • Lean Beef
  • Lean Pork
  • Chicken
  • Turkey
  • Beans
  • Tuna
  • Nut Butter (including Peanut)
  • Cantaloup
  • Brown Rice
  • Barley
I'm sure many of you are looking at this list and wondering "okay Katrina, where's the challenge?!" I thought the same thing when I first made the list (the only things I don't really care for are beets and cantaloup, but I'll eat them for the sake of the project). Then I gave some thought to the things not on the list.
  • Crackers
  • Chips
  • Pop
  • Popcorn
  • Baked Goods
  • Fried Foods
  • Pasta
  • Milk Chocolate
  • Beer
  • Butter
  • Anything pickled
True, not all of those things are part of my daily diet, but I still like them all! And to be honest, I have a real weakness for baked goods... And I'm a big fan of butter... And popcorn... And pasta is SO easy!

One other foods not on the list that will need to be limited but not eliminated include:
  • Cheese
  • Plain Yogurt
I'm a huge fan of cheese and plain yogurt, but I realize that I probably eat more of both than is necessary, and I should be watching my portion sizes.

Menu
Monday, February 1

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 1 tsp. honey, milk & tea
Lunch: Soup & fruit juice
Dinner: Spinach salad with raspberries, almonds, 2 Tbsp. goat cheese, 1 Tbsp olive oil/balsamic vinegar for dressing & red wine

1 comment:

  1. I should add that lunch is homemade tomato soup, compliments of Jclarkey. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete